My Miz Winnie

My Miz Winnie

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

All is Well

Figured I needed to put up a post of some sort this evening. A brief recap of the past two days is in order.

Yesterday morning I left Dickinson about 8am. Went back to Ilo Lake NWR. Didn't get any really good photos there. On to the North Unit of Theodore Roosevelt NP. Got some nice scenery photos there and one so so photo of a White-tailed deer. The only thing of note about that photo was it was the only time I saw deer in the park. I got to Medicine Lake NWR after 5pm. Mostly did a drive through to figure out where might be good spots to try to photograph birds. Wasn't really concentrating on photography, but got good photos of an Upland sandpiper and Willet. Got to the motel in Plentywood after 8pm. By the time I got my stuff in the room, Miz Winnie walked, and the computter hooked up and connected, it was after 9pm. It had been a long day, I was tired, and verging on cranky. A good nights sleep does wonders though!

I was back out at the refuge relatively early this morning. Based on what I had seen the evening before, I really wanted to get some photos of Eared grebes. They are not a bird one would normally see in Nebraska (other that during migration). Did okay in getting some photos of a couple Eared grebes, but I was frustrated in my attempts to get them with a young'un. Came back to the motel in the early afternoon and got caught up going through photos from the past couple days. Went back out this evening and hit the potluck with an Eared grebe and a young'un. I took over 400photos (which includes other photos taken of other birds). Taking that many photos in a short period of time means I had my finger on the trigger button almost continuously for a short bursts. It also means that because the birds are moving about and you are constantly trying to move with them, there are lots of out of focus junk photos. On my first go through of those 400+ photos, I deleted 100. Don't know how many on the second round. I now have the grebes down to 35 photos. Still have to winnow out more. I need to get some space from those photos for tonight, and get a fresh look at them tomorrow.

An entirely separate issue. There was an unfortunate incident with Miz Winnie and three other dogs in Dickinson. Continuing on to Seattle is definitely in question at this point. I have pretty much made up my mind about what to do, but want to sleep on it one more night, or perhaps given the time, one more morning. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment