My Miz Winnie

My Miz Winnie

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Medicine Lake NWR

First of all, both Miz Winnie and I are okay. A brief explanation of last nites cryptic comments are in order.

I obtained Miz Winnie from a Beagle rescue group. She is about five or six years old. The rescue group told me that she wasn't real good with other dogs, that they had had to separate her from the other dogs they had in rescue. We discussed it a bit and they thought, and I thought with the proper handling, she could get over whatever had caused the problem. I have worked with her and felt she was to the point of being introduced to other dogs up close and personal. Had I not felt that way, I would have never made the plans to go to Seattle, as the friends I planned to stay with have a dog. The last night we were in Dickinson, I was going to take Miz W out for a stroll and get some ice for my cooler. The motel room had a screen door. I let Miz W out and realized I didn't have the ice bucket, so stepped back in the room to get it. I heard Miz W and other dogs barking. The owner of the motel had three dogs and they were in the courtyard and the four dogs were going at it big time. Got things settled down and Miz W and I had our walk. When I went to bed I noticed some little spots of blood on the sheets and that is when I realized that one of the dogs had managed to bite Miz W. It's a superficial wound, she had cleaned it up and it looks to be healing just fine. The upshot is that I am back to square one, or even possibly square -10 in dealing with this problem. So we will not continue on to Seattle.

Now on to photos from Medicine Lake NWR

An Eared grebe


An Eared grebe and her little one


Little one all by him/herself


Notice how far back the back legs are. Grebes are divers and are never seen on land. The legs are strategically placed to accommodate their diving. Something I didn't know before last night, Eared grebes are flightless nine months of the year, they only fly during migration.

I love the tongue on this Marbled godwit


More Eared grebe photos and the rest of the photos from Medicine Lake NWR are here

No comments:

Post a Comment