My Miz Winnie

My Miz Winnie

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lake Ilo National Wildlife Refuge

Saturday did not go as planned.

First of all I didn't get up as early as I would have liked, because I was up too late the night before. Checked the weather report and took one look at the radar screen and said, oops, guess I will sit tight for awhile. After that little squall passed through, I headed out. The skies looked pretty good. Dark to the east and south, but good to the north and west, which was where I was headed. Lake Ilo NWR was on my way to the North Unit of Theodore Roosevelt NP, and since I can never pass a wildlife refuge by, it was my first destination.

This Willet chattered at me as I photographed him


This Upland sandpiper was posing nicely and I was firing away with the camera when I heard a big pickup approaching. I was mumbling under my breath to myself about it as he passed by. After he was gone and I was looking at the photos I had just taken, I mumbled, thanks pickup guy, you just got me a nice one.


I would have liked to stay at the refuge, but I looked at the time and said, gotta move on. The sky to the north and west still looked pretty good, so off to the west I went. As I went west the skies started to darken and the wind began to pick up. By the time I got to where I had to turn north to go to the North Unit of the Park, I had decided that heading south was my best option.

This photo was taken shortly after I turned south. The skies looked blacker than this photo portrays.


Got back to the motel and took Miz Winnie for a short stroll. Hustled her along as I could hear thunder in the distance. We hadn't been in the room long when the wind picked up, the thunder, lightning and rain started in earnest. Didn't last too long, and it cleared up after that. Probably would have been okay had I gone to the North Unit of the Park, but better safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment