My Miz Winnie

My Miz Winnie

Friday, June 25, 2010

More Badlands

A couple of photos from Wednesday evening in the Badlands.

From the looks of the moon this evening, I missed a full moon by one evening.


Sunset as I was leaving the park


The rest of the photos from the Badlands are here

I've concluded that one needs two mornings in the Badlands, and two evenings. One morning to go east and see and photograph from that angle, and a morning to go west and see and photograph. Repeat process for the evenings. Also probably need to schedule in a couple of extra days to accomodate weather.

I headed north today. Only covered about 250 miles, but I dawdled along the way and it took all day to get to Dickinson ND. After Miz Winnie and I got settled in, I laid down and took a 3 hour nap. Guarantees messing up the nights sleep!

I stopped for a good bit of time in Bucyrus, ND. It's the town where my mother was born and raised. Easily located the home of my aunt and uncle and my grandparents. Both are in disrepair. Was suprised how small they were. I was last there in my early teens and they seemed larger in my memories. Drove around the town a bit and finally found a man outside working on his RV. He allowed that he had lived there since 1968. Was able to confirm that the houses that I believed to be family homes were in fact, family homes. He told me where the cemetary was. Spent a good bit of time there. Never did find the graves of my grandparents, or my aunt and uncle. Lots of small town cemetaries are well kept, but this one isn't. It appeared that the grass isn't mowed with any frequency, and when it is, no one takes the time to clean off the markers. I guess the moral of the story is that one should have an upright marker. For some reason or another, it was an emotionally draining experience. Something I hadn't really expected. Haven't yet looked at the pictures I took today...

Theodore Roosevelt National park is the next photgraphy spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment