My Miz Winnie

My Miz Winnie

Monday, June 28, 2010

Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Spent part of the day in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Have throughly enjoyed the park. Was thinking today, if I could only go to Badlands NP or Theodore Roosevelt NP, which one would I pick. The scenery is similar, ie. badlands. Badlands NP is flatter, and the road is straighter, Theodore Roosevelt is hillier, and the road is not nearly so straight.

My final decision was Theodore Roosevelt NP. There are plenty of visitors, but not the hordes that there were in the Badlands. Makes it easier to stop in unauthorized places and take a photo or two. Getting to either park before school is out would probably revise visitor numbers down some, but there were plenty of old geezers like me, so it might not make that much difference. I do think the scenery is slightly more dramatic, and there are far more animals to photograph. The last one is probably what swung the vote to TRNP.

Saw more Bison. This guy was really shaggy and he looked different from the others in this mini-herd. I suspect he is not an adult, though he certainly wasn't a calf. Right after I got this photo, he ambled across the road right behind my car and rubbed and rubbed on one of the posts holding up the guard rail. Guess he had an itch!


Friday I saw a mini-herd of feral horses up on a hill. Today they were down by the road, and that allowed for close up photos. These two mares seemed to be enjoying a few quiet moments without their colts nearby.


The rest of the critter pictures are here.

I went through Arby's drive through to pick up their Chicken Cordon Bleu (mmmm) for dinner on the way back to the motel. Noticed this sign, and couldn't resist the urge to photograph it.


Moving north and west tomorrow to Plentywood, MT

No comments:

Post a Comment